© OMA

Bologna Tecnopolo

Built by Nervi-Bartoli from 1949, the Manifattura Tabacchi was a symbol of the rebirth of Bologna after World War II (44 percent of  the city was destroyed or severely damaged). The Manifattura was not only an efficient industrial machine, but also a concrete sign of modernity for the Bolognese. Until its closure in 1998, the Manifattura functioned as a city within the city: the daily meeting point of a thousand workers.